Learn how to renew drivers license in Canada Don’t let an expired license stop your driving adventure. Renewing your driver license seems like a hassle. It is like I know driving, I’m an expert, and I did have my license. So why renew my driving license? But the point is that renewing the license is an important task that should not be overlooked. I do agree that renewing the license is not an exciting thing. It’s not a task for which you want to leave your work. But it’s a sign of being a responsible driver.
Read More: How to Get a Commercial Driver’s License?
How To Renew Drivers License?
Renewing your license is crucial if you want to operate legally on the roads of Ontario. Your driver licence is valid for about 1 to 5 years. It basically depends on the class of license, age, and medical status. There are three ways through which you can renew your license:
- Online Renewal
- Renew in person
- Renew Remotely
How To Renew Drivers License Online?
Classes like 3,5,6 and 7 are eligible for Online Renewal. But this is only valid if you are applying for your renewal license without any changes. If a person does require some changes that could include a change in residency area or name, then the process is different. You need to visit in person at the Registry Agent Office.
What is the Process?
If you want to renew your drivers licence online, then you need a verified account. In case you don’t have a verified account, then you need to sign for the activation code that will arrive in the mail. Wait for about 10 business days. After this, finalize the verification by using the activation code.
What will happen if you have fines?
In case a person has some fines, then you are not eligible to apply for online renewal. You need to pay your fines. If you pay your fines through online payment, then there is a wait for about 2 to 3 business days for the approval of payment. After this, you can apply for a driver license renewal.
What is Required for Online Licence Renewals?
If your licence has expired, then you need to have the following documents:
- A Valid drivers licence card
- A Verified Account
- For payment, you need to have a Credit card.
- Need to have a current Web Browser.
How To Renew Drivers License In Person?
If you want to renew your motor vehicle licensing in person, then you need to visit the registry agent. There are some requirements that you need to fulfill in different conditions. You need to visit the licensing office. Now, let’s discuss the necessary requirements.
If the photograph is more than 4 years old, then a new photo is required to renew your driver licence.
Regarding Medical Examination
Drivers that have a medical condition or those of classes like 1, 2, and 4 need to have a medical examination. But do remember that the examination is not insured by Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. And physicians will charge you for this. Do remember that physicians are private business people that can charge you depending on their rates.
What Documents Are Required?
In case your license expired more than 6 months ago, then visit the drivers license office. You need to provide the following information:
- Proof of legal entitlement in Canada. This will include your birth certificate and passport etc.
- Proof of residency
In case your license is expired for more than 3 years, you will need to pass a
- Road Test
- Written Test
How To Renew Drivers License Remotely?
There are some cases where you can visit the center or you are outside your town. But do not worry; there are options available to apply for driver licensing available. You just need to complete the Remote driver licensing application. Just pay the required fees.
What Are The Required Documents?
Although the documents can vary depending on the situation. But the general documents are:
- Proof of residency is required
- Proof of legal entitlement
- Need to pay the required fee
What Tests Do You Need to Renew Drivers License?
It depends on the number of years and some other conditions to which the license has expired. You need to pass some tests before you can renew your license. Book an appointment with the regarding centre and get ready for the test. Let’s discuss in detail the test you need to take.
For 1-3 Years
- A vision test is required for your eyes.
For 3-10 Years
- A vision test
- A road test
- A Written knowledge test (Involves both G1 and G2)
You can book your road test after passing the written and the vision test. And regarding the G2 test, you can book for it after passing the G1 test.
What Are The Cost and Delivery Charges for License Renewal?
The cost and delivery time can vary depending on the area or the situation. But in general, the cost and delivery charges to renew drivers License are as follows:
The cost for a driver license renewal is 90$
Your new license will arrive within 2-4 weeks.
Eligibility Criteria for Different Tests
Now you know the requirements and the process to Renew Drivers License. But you also need to know the legal requirements for licenses and different tests. Let’s discuss them in detail.
PEI Drivers License
The eligibility criteria for PEI Drivers License is
- To obtain your PEI license, you must be at least 16 years old.
- If applying for a class 5 driver license, the age requirement is 18 years.
- The candidate needs to be a resident of PEI. You also need to provide a valid PEI address.
- You need to give proof of your identification as well.
- The candidate has to pass the written test. The knowledge test is based on the PEI driver handbook.
- Another requirement is medical fitness.
- You need to pass a vision test.
- The candidate needs to pay a $20 fee. This is for your class 7 stage 1 license. In case you don’t pass, you will have to take at least wait for 7 dates to retake the test.
Ontario G1 Test
The eligibility criteria for Ontario G1 test is
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- Your residency should be in Ontario.
- You need to have legal status in Canada.
- Must be medically fit to drive. Your physical condition should also be good.
- Acceptable identification documents are required for getting a license or to renew a driver’s license.
- For an underage driver, a training course is required.
M1 Practice Test
There are several legal requirements that must be met. These include:
- The minimum age requirement is at least 16 years old to take the M1 test in Ontario.
- Passing the M1 Knowledge Test is a requirement. The Knowledge test covers important information on motorcycle safety, traffic signs, and other essential topics.
- A valid license or a passport is needed to get a license or to renew drivers license.
- Parental or legal guardian consent for underage drivers
The following are the requirements for a Forklift License.
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years.
- Theoretical and Practical training programs need to be cleared.
- Pass the final evaluation, which consists of a written and a practical test.
- If the operator passes the final evaluation, they will receive their forklift license. The license will be valid for three years.
AZ License Ontario
To get an AZ license following requirements should be completed:
- The minimum age requirement for an AZ license is at least 18 years old.
- The individual must have a valid Ontario license other than G or M class.
- Medical and vision tests need to be cleared.
- Pass the road and knowledge test using a vehicle that meets the requirements for class AZ.
- Pass a Ministry of Transportation (MTO) road test.
Now we know the steps to renew drivers license. It’s not just a legal requirement but also a necessity. It shows that we are responsible drivers. The requirements may change or vary depending on an individual situation. It’s always best to check with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) for updated information and eligibility requirements. However, Gclassdrivers are also here to provide their services. We will guide you through each and every step. So you can feel confident behind the wheel!