Commercial driver's license

How to Get a Commercial Driver’s License? || Types, Tips & Tricks

What is a Commercial driver’s license?

A  commercial driver’s license (CDL) is a driver’s licence, required to operate any large or heavy vehicle. This also includes vehicles that carry hazardous material or passengers having a capacity of 15. Obtaining a CDL requires passing a knowledge and skills test specific to the type of vehicle being driven.

How to Get a Commercial driver’s license?

Getting a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is relatively not that hard.. The following steps are generally required to get a licence:

  • Meet the minimum age requirement for the type of commercial vehicle you wish to operate. The usual age in most countries is 18 years old.
  • Possess a valid standard driver’s license
  • A medical examination and a medical certificate are needed to get a CDL licence.
  • The next step is to pass a knowledge test specific to the type of commercial vehicle.
  • The driver needs to pass a skill test. The test includes essential vehicle control, a pre-trip vehicle inspection, and on-road driving.
  •  If you are applying for a license in Canada, proof of Canadian citizenship is required.
  • Insurance proof is needed.
  • A background check and drug and alcohol tests are also done.

These are the general requirements that may apply to any country. But it is also worth noting that provinces may have additional requirements or procedures. It is best to check with your province’s Ministry of Transportation for more information.

 Commercial Driver’s License applies to:

People think a commercial driver’s license is only for heavy vehicles or tractors. But this is not true. CDL also applies to many other automobiles. According to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the classes of commercial drivers licenses are:

  • Class A: Class A is a combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. It is done to include a “towed” vehicle heavier than 10,000 pounds.
  • Class B: Class B includes vehicles with a GVWR of 26,0001 pounds or more. This also includes a vehicle towing another weighing up to 10,000 pounds. This applies to straight trucks and large buses. City, tourist, and school buses and box trucks are also included in this class. 
  • Class C: Any vehicle that doesn’t fall into the A and B category are included in this class. Class C is for transporting either 16 passengers or hazardous materials. 


  A Commercial Driver’s License means having a permit to operate any large vehicle. A person with a CDL license can drive tractor-trailers to transfers across the country. Operating buses for public transportation, school transportation, and tour services is also allowed. Commercial Driver’s License allows you to operate delivery trucks for businesses that transport hazardous materials. It is also used for operating tank vehicles to transport liquids and gasses.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *