Don’t let paperwork and procedures hold you back from your dreams. Discover the straightforward path to acquiring your Private Transportation Company (PTC) license. But for this, you need to understand the essential requirements that include permits, insurance, vehicle specifications, and more. Private Transportation Company (PTC) uses an app to link people who need rides with drivers who have their own vehicles.
In a rapidly evolving transportation landscape, ride-sharing has become a popular mode of transportation. As Toronto embraces innovation brought by Private Transportation Companies (PTCs) like Uber and Facedrive, aspiring drivers must familiarize themselves with the licensing procedures.
Read also: How to Choose Driving Instructors?
What Is a PTC License?
Regulatory authorities grant a Private Transportation Company (PTC) license, which authorizes individuals to operate private transportation services for passengers. To legally offer rides to paying customers in a commercial area, you need this license.
In the city of Toronto, getting your PTC driver’s license involves fulfilling specific requirements set by the transportation authorities. Driving without a PTC driver license can result in serious consequences and penalties. A PTC license is essential for ensuring the safety and quality of transportation services provided to passengers.
During the registration process with a PTC company, the driver needs to meet the following requirements:
- The minimum age requirement for a PTC license is 18 years.
- A valid class G or higher Ontario license is required.
- The applicant must be able to communicate in English.
- Submit a Criminal Record Search that should not be older than 30 days.
- Submission of Drivers abstract that is not older than 30 days.
- For a new Private Transportation Companies license, you need to pay $23,136.00
- For renewal of a PTC license, a fee of $23,136.00 is required.
The driver must have the following documents with him:
- Proof of your vehicle ownership
- You must also provide proof of insurance.
- Along with this, Ontario Safety Standards Certifications are also needed. Please note that the Safety Standards Certificates are only valid for 1 year or 50,000 km from the last inspection.
There are some requirements regarding the vehicle for getting a PTC license. The requirements are as follows:
- Vehicles should be registered on the PTC platform.
- A PTC Identifier that is a logo sticker provided by a PTC company should be clearly displayed on the window.
- The vehicle should be in the best condition.
- Seat belts should be functional and accessible for all of the passengers.
- All the lights and signals of the vehicle should be working properly.
Requirements For Drivers
Regarding the drivers, the necessary requirements for Private Transportation Companies license are as follows:
- The driver should be registered on the PTC platform.
- The services should be provided directly through the PTC app. No other apps for transportation services are allowed.
- Driver also needs to permit the inspection.
- Along with this, all the documents requested by the By-law Officer should be provided.
By following these requirements and meeting the criteria, you can be eligible to get PTC license for Uber, Lyft, Facedrive, etc. For a PTC license Uber, you need to show that you have completed a new driver training program. You are required to submit the certificate when you apply for your PTC driver’s license.
To apply for a PTC license the first step is to fill the application form and submit the required documents. The application requirements are as follows:
- Address of Business office
- Information regarding the business
- You must provide articles of incorporation.
- If the operating name differs from the corporation name, you also need to register the business.
- List of all the PTC drivers and vehicles
- Requires full name and address of the driver
- Model and license plate of all of the PTC Vehicles
- A certificate of insurance is also required.
- Display the name of the company that is to be placed in each PTC vehicle
City officials from Brampton randomly check vehicles for a thorough inspection. This takes about 15 minutes. You can recognize these officials by their uniforms and city vehicles. They will tell you their name, show their badge, and share a photo ID. These inspections are done to make sure driving is safe for everyone. With the help of these inspections, both drivers and passengers are kept safe.
What If You Fail The Inspection?
If you do not pass the inspection, the officer will tell you what needs to be fixed and what are the issues. The officer gives a certain time to fix the problem. In serious cases, the driver can not use the app for a while. But if they fix the issue, they can use the app again. If a driver repeatedly fails for the same thing, officials might use another method to ensure their compliance with the rules.
What Is Involved In Inspection Process?
The officer will check for:
- The first step is regarding the documents. The officer will verify your documents.
- All exterior lights work and are in good condition or not.
- The motor vehicle is in good shape and has no outside damage.
- Whether the Ontario license plate is easy to see in the front and back.
- The special ID for ride-hailing is visible in the front or back window.
- The VIN number on the car matches the VIN number in the app.
- They will check if all seat belts are functional.
- There shouldn’t be any trash or damage inside.
- Air conditioning and heating should work.
- All doors should open and close properly
- Windows should go up and down like they should.
The application for renewing or getting a PTC license will be rejected if:
- The applicant was found guilty of a sexual crime against a minor or a person with disability.
- Found guilty of any sexual crime in the last decade.
- If found guilty of the given crimes in the last five years according to the Criminal Code section:
- 84 to 117.15 (Firearms or Other Weapons)
- 264.1 to 286.1 (Offenses Against a Person)
- 321 to 378 (Crime Against Rights of Property)
- 379 to 462 (Fraudulent Transactions, Wilful or forbidden Acts of Certain Property, Crime Relating to Currencies)
- 462.3 to 462.5 (Proceed of Crime)
- Applicant has been found guilty of a crime under these parts of the Criminal Code section, no matter when it happened:
- 3.01 to 83.33 (Crime related to Terrorism)
- i19 to 248 (Major crime against the Person)
- 272, 273, 267, 268, 270.01 (Major Assaults / Major Sexual Assaults)
- Found guilty in the preceding 10 years of the following Drugs and Substances Act sections:
- 5 (Trafficking)
- 6 (Import and Export)
- 7 (Production)
- 7.1 (Possession for use in production or trade)
- Found guilty of a certain drug crime in the past five years.
- Owe fines for breaking city rules, unless you show proof you paid them.
- Found guilty of five or more certain city law violations in the past three years.
- Were found guilty of certain vehicle related crimes in the past five years.
- If found guilty of the following driving offenses in the last five years:
- Careless driving
- Racing or doing dangerous stunts on the road
- Going over the speed limit by 50 km/hour or more
- Ignoring a school bus stop sign or a police officer’s signal
- Leaving after causing a crash without stopping
- Driving when your license was suspended
To conclude, If you want to run a ride service in Toronto, you need a Private Transportation Company (PTC) license. This license lets you legally pick up passengers. To get one, you’ve got to follow some rules.
First, you need to be at least 18 years old and have a proper Ontario driver’s license. Make sure to show a recent background check and driving record. Your vehicle must meet certain standards, like having working seat belts and lights.
Sign up with a PTC company and use their app for getting rides. The city officers check your car sometimes to make sure it’s safe. If you don’t pass, they’ll give you time to fix issues.
Meeting these requirements lets you join famous services like Uber and Lyft. If you do have any issues, then Gclass drivers are here to serve you. You will get guidance at every step. With determination, you can smoothly drive your way to success in Toronto!