After getting an official license the next step the driver thinks about is, how do i get an international driver’s license in canada? Are you planning an exciting road trip in a foreign country?
Well then don’t let the barriers stop you from having a fun adventure trip around the world. Imagine driving and exploring the beautiful landscape of foreign countries and navigating through the beautiful streets. All of this is possible if your idp is valid.
Read also: Tips How to Pass Your Driving Test
What is an International Driver’s License?
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a compact document that serves as an official translation of your valid driver licence into multiple languages. It’s basically a booklet that has ten translations of driving qualifications and a passport photo. Only CAA is allowed to issue IDPs, if someone has non CDA approved IDPs in Canada it will not be accepted by any foreign country. A non CDA approved license is considered fake.
The purpose of IDPs is to help the local authorities understand your driving privileges. A law was passed by the state of Florida in 2012 that it is mandatory for all Canadian citizens to carry a valid International Driving Permit.
Eligibility Criteria For International Driving Permit
To get a valid Canadian driving license IDP there are some requirements that need to be fulfilled. The requirements are as follows:
- The minimum age requirement for IDP is 18 years.
- You need to have a photocopy of a valid Canadian driver’s licence. Without a driver license you are not allowed to apply for IDP.
- You need to be a resident of Canada and your license should not be expired.
- It’s important to ensure that you comply with the local driving laws and regulations of the country.
How to Get an International Driver’s License in Canada?
To obtain an international drivers license you will need to follow some specific instructions. Securing an International Driving Permit (IDP) can be achieved easily; travelers and expatriates alike will find having one invaluable when exploring new destinations by car. Below is a breakdown of requirements needed in order to acquire such an IDP:
Once meeting eligibility requirements, two passport photos are needed along with payment of 30$ via debit, Visa, cash MasterCard or American Express.
Fill and sign a CAA IDP driving license application form before returning it at your local BCAA branch.
What If You Can’t Visit A BCAA Location?
It’s not an issue if you can’t visit your local BCAA location. The IDP will be couriered to you by Xpresspost or Purolator. You can also receive your IDP through regular Canada Post mail. But do remember that you will be subjected to an additional fee of about $6.95 + GST.
Can You Get An IDP If You’re Outside Canada?
Yes it’s possible to get an IDP if you are outside of your country. You can get your IDP through the mail. In case you have lost your IDP and you require a new one then you get it through the mail. Also you can get your IDP through the mail in case you didn’t know you needed an IDP until you have reached your destination.
What Is The Expiry Date Of IDP?
An International Driver’s License expires after 1 year from the date of issuance. Or when your provincial driver license expires. Although some countries have restrictions on the length of time you can drive in their country. So check the country you are planning to visit.
Advantages of International Driver’s License in Canada
The International Driving Permit (IDP) offers several advantages for travelers who plan to drive in foreign countries. Some of the advantages are as follows:
- The IDP is a legal form of verification in many countries. You can drive freely and legally without the fear of getting caught
- If a driver has a valid IDP, it is easy to rent and drive a vehicle in countries where your personal license isn’t accepted.
- In some countries it’s a legal requirement to carry an IDP along with the original driver license.
- The IDP is widely accepted and recognized by international organizations including the United Nations and the International Automobile Federation (FIA).
- Also you can have a piece of mind that you have the necessary documentation to drive legally and confidently in foreign countries.
To conclude, an international driver’s license will be helpful if you want to hit the roads of foreign countries. But do remember that IDP is not a substitute for your valid licence issued by your country. It is simply a translation of your current license into multiple languages. This makes it easier for you to communicate with foreign authorities and navigate the roads in a foreign country. So apply for an IDP today and enjoy the beautiful countries legally without any fear. What’s the wait for?